The Dreaming was amazing. (The Dreaming is “Australia’s international indigenous festival”. It is held at Woodfordia by the Queensland Folk Federation – the same people who organise Woodford Folk Festival and The Planting.) This year The Dreaming was the 11-14th of June (in the middle of winter which is a change from the summer festivals).
I have already mentioned that I was making signs for The Dreaming festival.
Being a part of the set up crew for a festival is amazing. The “family” atmosphere is much more profound. It was amazing seeing how everyone in the set up crew had their small job to do over the week and by the end of the week there is a festival site ready to go and then the patrons arrive and it is festival time. Being a part of that inspired awe. It was most enjoyable getting fed three meals a day for a week – in exchange for our hard work (apart from most of the set up crew are not morning people and breakfast at 6:30-7:30am is a little too early for us).
So in the “signology” department – the department who make the signs – we um, make signs. Different departments ask for a sign and we do the lettering and paint them. As boring as it is painting between the lines it is still such a great feeling painting all day every day for a week with other like-minded people (sitting near a gas heater was a bonus – you see the heater is for the paint to dry). We all had a blast – it hardly seemed like work at all. I did enjoy myself but I find the Visual Arts (VisArts) department more creatively stimulating. I am still glad that I got to experience Signology.
Below are two types of signs that are created – general/traffic signs and (very large – 6 to 8 foot long) venue signs. In the images I have explained what I did for the signs – I ended up just doing lettering on some signs and other people (namely Jen) painted the letters. There are other signs where I was allowed to be a little creative (with glitter as well) and others where I had full creative freedom to make what I wanted.
Something that was instilled in me at university was documenting my work as I went. I understand the merit of this – those first few steps in creating something will be lost forever if you do not document them. The image below is some photographs taken while I was creating the signs.
Overall the experience inspired awe. There was an amazing atmosphere around the festival that I have never experienced before and you must experience it for yourself. The opening ceremony was amazing – I felt so privileged to watch so many indigenous groups perform for us. The other experience I have not had at either Woodford Folk Festival or The Planting festival was – I spent more time with my new friends at camp sites than I did in the festival. It was go great to catch up with everyone I have met at the other festivals. My shameful moment was running around to all the galleries as they were shutting – I made two of the gallery’s signs and didn’t look at the art over the four days – better late then never I guess. The last night, as per the tradition, I donned my red frock and went for a pub crawl, albeit alone, it was still a fun tradition to be a part of.
Until next Dreaming…
The above URL is a blog I have set up to document the process for this university class. This would mean that I am back at university now (final semester finally) so I wont have as much free time to design stuff to put up on this blog.
12th July 2009
Something that has long been a hassle is how I have set up my own logos export file. Up until now there has been two files both called nearly the same thing both with excess information or not in the right format (with expanded appearnence). Today while I have been setting up stuff to upload to the blog I have realised that this format would be better:
Kassandra Logo saved as 3 separate EPS files for each of the three colours. This screenshot from within illustrator with all three files open. AHHH less worries about which file to open now since they are Encapsulated Post Script files.
June 8 2008
This is the screenshot of the ttf file I created through font creator using also my scanner and photoshop.
Below should be a “Making a Typeface” which is a pdf documenting the process in making the typeface.
2nd May 2009
This is a grunge wallpaper I made. This uses various grunge effects sourced from deviantart and typography. This was two hours well spent as it gains many compliments and visually represents the grunge style.
(HEX#990066 is my purple it will be seen on this blog lots)