I just found this on one of my drives. This is taking one of the light play photographs and using layers in photoshop to make something interesting. I used this as a wallpaper.
Putting this old wallpaper on here made me open the folder full of these old but still lovely wallpapers. These are all mostly made with photographs that I have taken or fractals I generated and multiple layers in photoshop.
The caption is the name of the wallpaper and also the foundation of what made it.
I recently bought 10 different types of flowers and pots to plant them in so I could add some colour to my backyard. After planting I was very upset at how crappy the flower tags were. I will not show the originals because they were that bad. They were all red, had a crazy huge logo and the text for each flower was small, upper case and white on red. These tags were more about the company who grew them than about the individual flowers. I had to change this – design tags that were all about the flowers and not me.
As a graphic designer and photographer I started with photographing my new flowers. After getting the photographs off my camera I had to select all the best photographs, about 10 minutes. I spent about 15 minutes getting a rough template together that has the shape, clipping mask all ready to go and the text in place. Using the ‘template’ and the selected photographs, typing in the name, changing colours etc took about 20 minutes for all the tags. So basically I made 10 flower tags in about 45 minutes. Below is 8 of the 10 tags:
Once I printed them all I cut them out and laminated them and then cut them out (again). Below are the flower tags as they are displayed in the pots:
I have already had some friends and family mistake these flower tags for being the tags that came with the flowers since they are so well designed and professional looking. I smile because this is what I do.
I made these for the State Zionist Council of Queensland in 2007. I was asked to take two images and convert them into an image that looked like a badge. I was given the images and a tutorial and started to create them. Here is the original and remake of both images:
While I was making these badges I realised that the images would need to be edited before being made into the badge. The image itself is just a layer in the overall design and in order for them to look good in a circle they did need to be changed. The first badge is clearly rearranged so the words “Isreal 60” were large enough to read – if the whole image was scaled it became hard to read the words. The person and Star of David were also repositioned in relation to the words. Overall the design is easier to read and see especially on the circle badge.
The second image was reflected horizontally and vertically in order to make the Star of David easier to see, have the flag look more like a flag in this context and to create an overall more balanced image inside the circle badge.
These badges were later placed in brochures.
When making these images it seemed appropriate to label the images with my Kassandra Designs signature typeface. I will probably do this alot now.
17th July 2009
After being inspired by the first 2009 semi-permanent book that DesignIsKinky released I have submitted five artworks to hopefully get included. The following quote is the email I sent them.
I really loved the first 2009 book and it inspired me to want to be included in a next book, hence here now is my submission. Attached is my 5 submissions for the second 2009 book, all to specified sizes. Three files are saved as 72ppi jpg. The gif file shows a stroked line which is the bounding box the rest is there as a 5mm bleed. I feel as though I must mention the last file: it is just a jpg but the actual design has been printed A1, mounted and exhibited at the University of the Sunshine Coast Art Gallery in June-July 2009 (student exhibit) and will also be exhibited in a different show in Gympie in October.
My name is: Kassandra Bowers
Thanks for looking at my designs.”
This is me having a go at air brushing to the extreme but keeping in touch with reality. I have added nail polish, eye shadow and lipstick. This contains an skin texture brush from keepwaiting.
This is a photograph of a flower that has been composed so that the pollen is on the top left hand rule of third intersection. The image is unedited except the text stating it is Fig 1 and that it is unedited. The camera lens is literally inside the flower.
This is my final A1 poster for ADN214: Visual Identity and Exhibition Design. There is more information about it at this page: Urban Typography by Kassandra Bowers. This is the submission mentioned earlier as being exhibited in an art gallery.
This is something that I created especially for the book (the other things are all adapted from somewhere else). The stuff outside of the stroked line is the bleed. The fun thing about keeping a blog is seeing things connect as: something for semi-permanent has already been changed since its original blog entry.
This was the back cover for the ISM (Independent Student Magazine from the University of the Sunshine Coast) I worked on page layout and graphic design for the COMMERCIALISM issue. This was the back cover that I made from photographs I took in 2005. I was surprised after I got back to the Sunshine Coast after being in Darwin for 13 months to find that these patches of grass are now covered in concrete and structures. This has been edited since the original back cover. I sadly didn’t pick up on a typo and 10 000 copies were sent out with the 2005 saying 2008 (which didn’t make sense and was picked up on by a few of my university friends).