Last year I was asked by a musician to do a photo shoot and to create a stylised vector drawing of him for the cover of his upcoming CD. Long story short: the three versions of the illustration never saw the light of day until now.
Since the design remains my intellectual property I can show you the stylised vector of the unnamed musician:
For what it is worth: I chose the bottom of the three versions for the cover and placed all the required text in the white space and it looked amazing.
I felt like making something with my hands. I remember making these woollen things as a child – on a much smaller scale with paddle pop sticks. To begin I went into my backyard to find a couple of good sized sticks. Then I went through my mum’s wool collection and found rements of wool to use. Then I started securing the sticks and looping the wool around the sticks, over and over again until I finished. I quickly made an information graphic (using Kassandra Designs Signature Typeface I have designed) to explain what I did.
I have taken plenty of photographs of the final product. Here is two – one is how I suggest it is displayed (stuck in the ground) and a close up of the centre.
I used purples and blues and a row of black between the two. It looks great and I kept my hands busy for a few hours while I made it.
When I studied photography at university we were asked to photograph under various lighting conditions. I decided to take this experiment one step further by setting up an experiment with coloured material, daylight exposure settings and various lighting conditions. The aim is to SEE how light affects colour. When I did the class I created a book with spreads that looked like this:
After finishing university, with some free time on my hands, I have completely redesigned the whole book. The following image is all the spreads (scaled) with the concept, conclusions and title (larger).
Photography by Kassandra
Title and spectrum “decoration” created in Illustrator
Layout in InDesign
The above URL is a blog I have set up to document the process for this university class. This would mean that I am back at university now (final semester finally) so I wont have as much free time to design stuff to put up on this blog.
11 July 2009
I decided to use “the generator” to make three different entries into the competition. When scrolling through I realised that there was actually text for the city Brisbane so I could not resist but put it on one of the advertisements. The category for the final round is “simply city” so the following three designs were my competition entries.
Using the bottle only on a gradient background and the tag line urban planet: simple and city.
Black and white only with hustle and bustle of the streets of “Brisbane” complete with the name Brisbane, the confusing map of streets (similar to Brisbane) in the shape of the bottle a requirement and the tag line “urban planet” to anchor the visual message with text.
A very different approach indeed. The background is created from a very enlarged surfboard and the rest of the elements: city, man, bottle, text and flags are all minimal colour scribbled elements which ties all in visually. There is a very vivid and lively colour palette which ties in the text: live it up.
These designs have all been put up on the site and the disclaimer did state that not all were going to be put up on the site. Maybe the three links will work but they may not correspond to the order on this page.
23 June 2009
I have been designing houses these last few years. This is the first one I have digitally drawn the floorplan for. Having done technical drawing at school for four years and now being able to vector illustrate has meant I can combine these skills. These houses are all 3D walk through versions on my laptop where I have been patient and screenshot/”taking photos” as I have walked through. Showing floorplans isn’t helpful to some people and loading the program and shuffling files (5 available slots) is tedious. I shall post some “photos”/digital renders of some of these rooms.
This particular home would cater for all my artistic needs having large art, design and photography studios downstairs. The house is created from an imaginary warehouse – I would indeed like to convert a warehouse in much this way. The large open space/void is open to the typical warehouse skylight and is a standout feature in this house. This space can be useful as an art space, a party venue, live music venue or to park the car. There is a master suite which would be occupied by myself and then the guest quarters contains a foyer with bay window, over night room with four single beds, a long term stay room, a shower and separate water closet. Each upstairs room will have one way glass to be able to view to open space area. The following is a “photo” montage of various parts of the house: