Obviously inspired by the work of Andy Warhol. This is Chester Carlson (the guy who invented “electro photography” AKA the photocopy. I call it Photocopy of a Photocopy. I made this for the PrintEx11 poster competition.
Today I have been organising my portable music device. The main reason was to have new music and to make sure each song had a cover, as a visual person it is easier for me to store a visual database and and aural database. There were some songs/DJs/albums that just did not have a cover – or not one worth putting on a portable music device.
I designed some covers based off a quick google image search to find a picture that I liked and sometimes I grabbed a logo. Some were created from my own photography or digital illustration. Here is the few that I made.
These were all created in GiMP with each cover taking no more than 10 minutes to create.
(I will come back and put links/credits to the original internet images)
Putting this old wallpaper on here made me open the folder full of these old but still lovely wallpapers. These are all mostly made with photographs that I have taken or fractals I generated and multiple layers in photoshop.
The caption is the name of the wallpaper and also the foundation of what made it.
Last year I was asked by a musician to do a photo shoot and to create a stylised vector drawing of him for the cover of his upcoming CD. Long story short: the three versions of the illustration never saw the light of day until now.
Since the design remains my intellectual property I can show you the stylised vector of the unnamed musician:
For what it is worth: I chose the bottom of the three versions for the cover and placed all the required text in the white space and it looked amazing.
I recently bought 10 different types of flowers and pots to plant them in so I could add some colour to my backyard. After planting I was very upset at how crappy the flower tags were. I will not show the originals because they were that bad. They were all red, had a crazy huge logo and the text for each flower was small, upper case and white on red. These tags were more about the company who grew them than about the individual flowers. I had to change this – design tags that were all about the flowers and not me.
As a graphic designer and photographer I started with photographing my new flowers. After getting the photographs off my camera I had to select all the best photographs, about 10 minutes. I spent about 15 minutes getting a rough template together that has the shape, clipping mask all ready to go and the text in place. Using the ‘template’ and the selected photographs, typing in the name, changing colours etc took about 20 minutes for all the tags. So basically I made 10 flower tags in about 45 minutes. Below is 8 of the 10 tags:
Once I printed them all I cut them out and laminated them and then cut them out (again). Below are the flower tags as they are displayed in the pots:
I have already had some friends and family mistake these flower tags for being the tags that came with the flowers since they are so well designed and professional looking. I smile because this is what I do.
Freelance job for Urban Tile Company to design transparent stickers for boards with which they display tiles in their show room. This job is for 50 stickers in three different colours totalling 150 stickers. I also print brokered the job, learning more about sticker printing. I got the brief through email and went in to meet them when some of the details didn’t work out. Below is the pen to paper sketching alongside the rough done in accordance to the brief:
Once the size of the sticker and the typeface and its treatment was selected I could go ahead and design the artwork and get quotes for printing. The actual artwork took half an hour to do. Below are the three stickers:
With the artwork approved and the print quote accepted the artwork was sent off for printing in the format the printer preferred. (PDF with all three stickers on one page with trim marks for each sticker) I strongly suggested to the client that the stickers be individually cut by the printer for ease of use and to save their time. Below are the three bundles I delivered to my client:
When I was delivering the product I asked the client if I could come back in two weeks to photograph the stickers in situ. I was granted permission to do not only this but to put this job on my website. Below are the stickers on the display board in Urban Tile Company’s show room:
This was a great job to do and I was very happy to have such a happy client.