Freelance job for Urban Tile Company to design transparent stickers for boards with which they display tiles in their show room. This job is for 50 stickers in three different colours totalling 150 stickers. I also print brokered the job, learning more about sticker printing. I got the brief through email and went in to meet them when some of the details didn’t work out. Below is the pen to paper sketching alongside the rough done in accordance to the brief:
Once the size of the sticker and the typeface and its treatment was selected I could go ahead and design the artwork and get quotes for printing. The actual artwork took half an hour to do. Below are the three stickers:
With the artwork approved and the print quote accepted the artwork was sent off for printing in the format the printer preferred. (PDF with all three stickers on one page with trim marks for each sticker) I strongly suggested to the client that the stickers be individually cut by the printer for ease of use and to save their time. Below are the three bundles I delivered to my client:
When I was delivering the product I asked the client if I could come back in two weeks to photograph the stickers in situ. I was granted permission to do not only this but to put this job on my website. Below are the stickers on the display board in Urban Tile Company’s show room:
This was a great job to do and I was very happy to have such a happy client.
The above URL is a blog I have set up to document the process for this university class. This would mean that I am back at university now (final semester finally) so I wont have as much free time to design stuff to put up on this blog.
11 July 2009
I decided to use “the generator” to make three different entries into the competition. When scrolling through I realised that there was actually text for the city Brisbane so I could not resist but put it on one of the advertisements. The category for the final round is “simply city” so the following three designs were my competition entries.
Using the bottle only on a gradient background and the tag line urban planet: simple and city.
Black and white only with hustle and bustle of the streets of “Brisbane” complete with the name Brisbane, the confusing map of streets (similar to Brisbane) in the shape of the bottle a requirement and the tag line “urban planet” to anchor the visual message with text.
A very different approach indeed. The background is created from a very enlarged surfboard and the rest of the elements: city, man, bottle, text and flags are all minimal colour scribbled elements which ties all in visually. There is a very vivid and lively colour palette which ties in the text: live it up.
These designs have all been put up on the site and the disclaimer did state that not all were going to be put up on the site. Maybe the three links will work but they may not correspond to the order on this page.
June 8 2008
This is the screenshot of the ttf file I created through font creator using also my scanner and photoshop.
Below should be a “Making a Typeface” which is a pdf documenting the process in making the typeface.
23 June 2009
I have been designing houses these last few years. This is the first one I have digitally drawn the floorplan for. Having done technical drawing at school for four years and now being able to vector illustrate has meant I can combine these skills. These houses are all 3D walk through versions on my laptop where I have been patient and screenshot/”taking photos” as I have walked through. Showing floorplans isn’t helpful to some people and loading the program and shuffling files (5 available slots) is tedious. I shall post some “photos”/digital renders of some of these rooms.
This particular home would cater for all my artistic needs having large art, design and photography studios downstairs. The house is created from an imaginary warehouse – I would indeed like to convert a warehouse in much this way. The large open space/void is open to the typical warehouse skylight and is a standout feature in this house. This space can be useful as an art space, a party venue, live music venue or to park the car. There is a master suite which would be occupied by myself and then the guest quarters contains a foyer with bay window, over night room with four single beds, a long term stay room, a shower and separate water closet. Each upstairs room will have one way glass to be able to view to open space area. The following is a “photo” montage of various parts of the house:
21st July 2009
The original poster annoyed me so very much as it is very poorly designed. There was no heirarchy and it appears it was more about the bands than the night itself. Some strategic repacing of the items (and using the bands actual logos not just the same type as the rest of the poster) some useful typography – balance, line spacing, size, colour for heirarchy. The word funky was vectorised from a pen-to-paper drawing. The logo for TAME was created by me on this poster it is an abbreviation of “The Art of Mother Earth”.
The original poster was folded when I recieved it so there was some careful photoshop use to disguise this and due to the scan the images are not as vibrant as the origninal but still passable. I will try to get a photo of one of the original posters from the event.