diptych paintings

Series called:

Designed to make Harry’s “Red” couches stand out.

Panel A, Panel B

Designed to make Harry's "red" couches stand out. Diptych painting series painted by Kassandra Bowers Lakazdi spray paint drips bold colour primary black blue yellow multiple

Designed to make Harry's "red" couches stand out. Diptych painting series painted by Kassandra Bowers Lakazdi spray paint drips bold colour primary black blue yellow multiple

Detail

 

These were commissioned by Harry to fill a few prerequisites:

  • could not be too big in the room but big enough to fill a full wall
  • had to create contrast in his lounge with red-brown-maroon colour palette
  • could be versatile enough to be changed at will – not a static diptych
  • modern and interesting
  • simple
  • blur the lines between art and design

Each panel is a 50 x 90 cm pre-made canvas. The relationship between colours employees Fibonacci numbers for balance. Due to using this number set each panel is balanced and when adding the panels to each other in any formation continued the number set.

Advertisements

CD cover art

Last year I was asked by a musician to do a photo shoot and to create a stylised vector drawing of him for the cover of his upcoming CD. Long story short: the three versions of the illustration never saw the light of day until now.

Since the design remains my intellectual property I can show you the stylised vector of the unnamed musician:

a musician that will not be named since they were an uncooperative client who wanted to rip me off

Three versions of the stylised vector ready for the CD cover

 

For what it is worth: I chose the bottom of the three versions for the cover and placed all the required text in the white space and it looked amazing.


Flower Tag design

I recently bought 10 different types of flowers and pots to plant them in so I could add some colour to my backyard. After planting I was very upset at how crappy the flower tags were. I will not show the originals because they were that bad. They were all red, had a crazy huge logo and the text for each flower was small, upper case and white on red. These tags were more about the company who grew them than about the individual flowers. I had to change this – design tags that were all about the flowers and not me.

As a graphic designer and photographer I started with photographing my new flowers. After getting the photographs off my camera I had to select all the best photographs, about 10 minutes. I spent about 15 minutes getting a rough template together that has the shape, clipping mask all ready to go and the text in place. Using the ‘template’ and the selected photographs, typing in the name, changing colours etc took about 20 minutes for all the tags. So basically I made 10 flower tags in about 45 minutes. Below is 8 of the 10 tags:

flower tags designed by Kassandra

New flower tag design (on black to make the colours pop)

Once I printed them all I cut them out and laminated them and then cut them out (again). Below are the flower tags as they are displayed in the pots:

photographs of the flower tags designed by Kassandra in situ

photographs of the flower tags on display

I have already had some friends and family mistake these flower tags for being the tags that came with the flowers since they are so well designed and professional looking. I smile because this is what I do.


Painting for Harry

Harry asked me to paint, well some paintings, for the living room in his new townhouse. Upon spending a few evenings in this living room I realised that the red couches in this room seemed to appear very brown due to all the brown furniture. Harry said he would prefer two panels minimum and that the should be able to work however he needed them to on the wall – he even said “at crazy diagonals if I choose to”.

I started to plan. I realised I wanted yellow and blue/cyan to be the main two colours across the two panels. This is so the red couches stand out a little more as they (paintings and couches) form the primary colours (when painting). The other thing I looked into was using fibonacci numbers so that the panels would be pleasing to the eye. I wanted to experiment with spraypainting and creating drip work on canvass (something I have not done yet).

The two panels are called:

Designed to make Harry’s “red” couches stand out – Panel A and
Designed to make Harry’s “red” couches stand out – Panel B

Before I gave these to Harry I decided to photograph them (of course) but mostly in order to show how many ways the panels really can be placed on a wall – and I only spent two minutes thinking of ways while photographing…

painting by Kassandra Bowers for Harry

Designed to make Harry's "red" couches stand out

I noticed how easy this would be to do with any colour that someone required (favourite colours, sports team colours, go with interior decoration etc) and once I started to show these to people they agreed at how well this custom art/design would sell for – if you are interested in having me paint you a set leave a comment and I will contact you.